September 30, 2011

Don't Send Them the "Yes, Rob Me, Please" Message*

*This post was originally written for The Athena, Cheenee's previous blog.

MRT (photo from tourism.gov.ph)

While residents near Manila Bay and Sofitel's guests were being evacuated as big waves hit the bay's seawall due to a storm surge, and while situation in Marikina and other flood-prone areas were being closely monitored by authorities, my primary concern during Typhoon Pedring's battering was the power outage that halted MRT operations.

MRT, with all the pushing and shoving, is a convenience most commuters fail to notice, much less appreciate. And if you have an extreme harpaxophobia (fear of robbers or being robbed) and scelerophobia (fear of burglars or being harmed by wicked humans) just like me, no MRT equals more chances of being robbed or harmed. I can handle the wild ladies on the train because I am pretty good at forcing my way through a crowded door to the middle of the coach where there are fewer people. But robbers? Who can handle them?


I walked along the dark Mother Ignacia Street because there were no tricycles. It was another me against the wind scene that TV Patrol might want for its newscast. I'm telling you, that day, I was an ultimate wind warrior, battling every step from the house to the office and back. It was darker along EDSA, save for some headlights from passing vehicles and my anxiety doubled. Dark streets spelled more harm.

The bus finally came after 20 minutes of disquietude. But instead of tripling my fear (because bus = the person beside or behind you may be a robber), I got irritated with two girls seated beside me, who, apparently, were just like me-- non-bus riders with harpaxophobia and scelerophobia. The big difference between us though was that they were showing it and I was downplaying it. Here are a few of their lines:

Girl 1: Oh jeez, we forgot to pay Arland! I didn't have barya this morning so I told him later nalang then I forgot na.
Girl 2: Oh yeah! Me too! Never mind, I think he's has pera pa naman.
Girl 1: Manong magkano po ang Buendia? (CGE BILHIN MO ANG BUENDIA!)
Manong: 35. (I'M NOT SURE)
Girl 1: Manong do you have barya for this? *girl 1 gives P500 bill.
Girl 1: Manong Buendia ha? Ibaba niyo ko dun baka lumampas ako. Please? *girl 1 with batting eyelashes! ugh!
Girl 2: Manong ako din ha? Sa Guadalupe naman po. Ibaba niyo ko mismo sa Guadalupe. Nakakatakot eh, baka lumagpas ako!
*Manong walks away, irritated.
Girl 1: OH MY GOD!
Girl 2: What?
Girl 1: Where's my phone? *girl 1 looks for it everywhere in her bag and finds it
Girl 2: Naku teh! Hahawaan mo ko sa nerbyos mo!
Girl 1: Ui may text supervisor ko o.. "Don't be afraid. Everything will be fine. Just don't show your fear. Text me when you're home na."
Girl 2: Ay teh, huli na ang lahat.

Huli na ang lahat, indeed. If a robber was on the bus, you are very "huli na ang lahat" talaga!

Here's a tip. When you're traveling in an unfamiliar route or mode of transportation, never show that you are afraid. Act tough and act as if you know where you're going. Or if you're unsure, ask the right people. This is the perfect time to synchronize your instinct and intelligence. If you broadcast your fears, you'll be the easy victim. I know it could be anybody else, even the silent one, but at least try to shut up and spare yourself from the unwanted attention.

If the weather shuts down MRT again, or if you're unfamiliar with a route, just play it cool. Remember that bad guys take their cue from your own acts so don't send them the "yes, rob me, please" message.

Keep safe, everyone!
-athenaD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you! (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...