July 29, 2012

Papa John's: The Unlimited Pizza Experience

Since Papa John’s opened it’s first store in Manila, my sister, Les, kept bugging me about bringing home to Leyte a box or two of its pizza. When she is in Manila, though, we never get the chance to visit the place. Even I, who is often near a Papa John's branch, have never gone there until its Unlimited Pizza (P199) promo every Tuesday.

Looking through the glass windows on the side of Tomas Morato, I could tell that Papa John’s was full. I quite expected that. Fortunately, my friend, Dana (sorry i "tagged" you), and I were just in time to take a vacant table near the brick wall on the left. From where I sat, I stared at “Papa” John Schnatter, the founder, whose photo hung on the wall opposite the main door. Except for the brick wall stamped with “Papa John’s,” it was nothing fancy compared to other pizza parlors that boast with artsy decors and walls. Or maybe I did not pay much attention to the interiors because I was busy visualizing my game plan.

My friend, Dana, and me
At exactly six, the energy went a few notches higher as the waitresses peddled the pizzas from table to table. First served on my plate were two slices of Garden Special, my favorite. The olives, bell peppers, onions, and cheese were satisfying. The absence of meat did not bother me at all. Trivia: I started liking veggies because of pizzas! [ ;) ]
Garden Special
Next served was a slice of All the Meats. I was wondering where “all the meats” have gone because my slice only had three visible chunks of meat. I deconstructed the pizza and saw all the meat I was looking for hidden under the thick layer of melted cheese. I felt like a treasure hunter digging for more bacon. Every bit of bacon is a treasure, people! [haha]

All the Meats
The Hawaiian Pizza was served next. Do not judge the picture below. It looks like a cheese pizza instead of Hawaiian. Under the cheese, there were chunks of pineapples and slices of ham! It was good but just like any other of its kind, it was too tangy for me.
Hawaiian
My fourth slice was another All the Meats, though I really felt like it was Bacon Cheeseburger. It looked the same with my third slice (except that the previous one had less meat) but this had a subtle sourness. I do not know, really, but I have no choice but  to believe the waitress who said it was an all-meat pizza.

By the time I finished my fourth slice, I was already full but I was not going to miss one of the four flavors they served— the Pepperoni Pizza. I thought I was headed for the grand finale but to my dismay, it was too salty and the pepperoni became dry after the pizza cooled. I had to ask for another slice of All the Meats to replace the salty flavor in my mouth.
Pepperoni
I ate seven slices of thick crust pizza in all! Though thick crust pizzas are not my thing because their chewiness hurt my jaws, Papa John’s pizza proved to be different. The dough, though thick, is soft. Plus, it comes with a garlic dip that is so helpful especially with the edge, where there are no toppings to speak of and the crust becomes extra tough.

Garlic dip
Papa John’s unlimited pizza promo was only served four kinds of pizza and there are a lot more to try! But that was definitely a good way to sample four flavors in one sitting and definitely a good way to meet John and  his famous pizzas. 'Til we meet again, Papa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you! (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...