March 28, 2012

Magnum Mania*

*This post was originally written for The Athena, Cheenee's previous blog.

Magnum's been all over the internet (and trashcans) since it became available in MiniStop, 7-11 chains, and supermarkets. Everyday I'd see a number of posts on and a number of poses with Magnum in my facebook feeds and I bet everyone who reads this can relate.

I am not someone who'd buy a hyped ice cream before reading A LOT of reviews and A LOT of stories from friends on how it tasted like so it took me three more days (from the day it was released) before deciding to buy the Magnum Classic (P55). It looked sophisticated from the wrapper up to the smooth chocolate coating. The chocolate coating was good, especially with its little hint of bitterness that went well with the creamy vanilla. I thought it was not really worth the hype...


Image


...until I tasted the Chocolate Truffle (P60) the next day! Imagine stuffing myself with chocolate ice cream right after my graveyard shift and right before I went to bed! [haha] Goodness I almost forgot to take a picture after first bite! I really couldn't appropriately describe it in words but here's a try. The ice cream was made with lots of authentic chocolate and the chocolate coating was perfect for it. The Magnum Chocolate Truffle is a real treat because it's chocolate on chocolate without the unnecessary extra sweetness.
Image
The Chocolate Truffle made me really excited to try the Magnum Almond because many of my friends said it was the best among the three flavors available in the Philippines. So when I woke up around noon (the same day I ate the Chocolate Truffle), I decided to pass by 7/11 before going home to Taguig. To my dismay, the Almond flavor didn't meet my expectations. It instantly became my least favorite among the three flavors. Maybe the bitterness of the chocolate coating was less on this one compared to the other two flavors. Some say it tastes like Pinipig Crunch. I like Pinipig Crunch but I don't think they taste almost alike because this one has really big almonds on the chocolate coat and not just tidbits to give a crunch.
Image
Final say? I don't really think taste is an issue. It tastes good. I even like the cheap dirty ice cream sold by Mang Tomas in UST how much more this one! [haha] But I think the price is quite high for an ice cream on a stick. I really like it but it's not something I'd think of buying when I feel like eating ice cream because of the price. I'd rather have Cornetto or McDo's sundaes when I want a sweet and cold treat. Unless I'd be sleep deprived because of a Magnum craving or unless someone treats me, I won't give in. -athenaD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you! (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...