March 8, 2012

Was at Wingman again*


*This post was originally written for The Athena, Cheenee's previous blog.


I went back to Wingman at The Collective last February 29 not really because I was craving for it but because I had to use the Ensogo voucher I bought last September since it expires on March 2. This was a solo food trip. That's what you have to get used to when your off is on a weekday and practically all your friends have work.

The Collective is quite hard to find when you're unfamiliar with the streets of Makati. When we went there last October, we had a car and Tito Rey knew the roads of Makati. This time, however, I had to commute alone from Taguig to Makati. It took me three jeepney rides. One from C5 to Market! Market!. Another from Market! Market! to EDSA-Ayala and another one from EDSA-Ayala to Buendia. I was impoverish last week hailing a cab didn't even cross my mind. I even walked from my drop-off point along Buendia, the corner near Centro Escolar University-Makati, to The Collective despite the heat.


Just like before, only a couple of people were at Wingman for their afternoon merienda. I've read, though, that that is not the case during evenings when yuppies flock to the small joint along Malugay. I let the waitress choose whether I'd order half a dozen (P200) of Garlic Parmesan flavored wings or Honey Garlic. She chose Honey Garlic and I was good with it. I also ordered the very sinful Deep-fried Snickers Bar (P220) for dessert out of curiosity and bottomless iced tea (P80).  I also had Corn Puppies (P180) to go for Raiza.

While waiting, I noticed that it was a little brighter inside compared to the last time I've been there.  In my previous post on Wingman, I noted that the only thing I disliked about its interior are the lights. Their laminated menus were also gone and was replaced by better ones. Anyway, moving on to the main event...
My half-dozen honey garlic wings looked promising. Unlike their buffalo wings, this did not disappoint on my first bite. It also came with carrot sticks and a dip. Food blogs that I often read said that despite being smothered with sauce, the skin remains crispy. I have to agree. And the meat was soft, moist and tasty.

After I downed four wings and a few carrot sticks, the "umay" factor kicked in. Not because I did not like the sauce, but because there was too much sauce! Too much generosity is not good. My last two wings were soggy and they overpowered the taste of the chicken. I felt like drinking the sauce straight from the saucer.  I needed to transfer the remaining wing to the other side of the basket because the wings' side looked flooded. Too bad that had to happen. Other people may like their wings soaked with sauce but I like it with just enough to give flavor.

The Deep-fried Snickers Bar was served while I was half done with my wings. The anatomy of this sinful dessert consists of snickers thickly coated with waffle or pancake batter topped with whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup. It also had a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

This was heaven on first bite- the sweetness and of the chocolate and the crunch of the nuts equalized by the soft pancake batter. To add to the opposing tastes and textures was the heat of the deep-fried Snickers and the coolness of the vanilla ice cream. But after three spoons, my tonsils tapped out. This has always been a dilemma since I have a sweet tooth but intolerant tonsils. I didn't want another case of bad tonsillitis.  But I somehow managed to finish half of the serving while I waited for my take out for Raiza.
Meet the Corn Puppies. They are actually smaller versions of corn dogs so it's called Corn Puppies, [funny.haha] Raiza liked it because the hotdog was no puppy. It was huge! And the batter wasn't so thick.




Overall, this visit to Wingman was way better than my first. If I were with a friend, it would have been better. I'd be back of course, to try their other flavors. I'd probably order the dry flavors like the Garlic Parmesan or Lemon Pepper and have their much praised burgers.

forever a chicken lover,
athenaD.
***

Wingman is located at The Collective, 7274 Malugay St., San Antonio Vill., Makati City, Metro Manila
Call them @478-6770

Menu: Wingman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you! (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...