August 25, 2012

Our 5th at Elias

On our anniversary, Tyrone had a class to catch while I just came from a graveyard shift. The rain incessantly poured, submerging most part of Metro Manila come evening. But for a couple like us who celebrated anniversaries through phone calls and packages in four straight years, nothing can really stop us from squeezing in our planned simple lunch no matter what. (FYI: We had enough time to learn time management.) So, off we went to Elias by Chef Florabel Co-Yatco in Bonifacio High Street. 

Elias got its name from a character in Dr. Jose Rizal’s book, Noli Me Tangere. Check the menu and you will find dishes named after characters, places, and events in Noli and El Filibusterismo. These sent me funny memories of my high school teachers— our Noli teacher who always called our year ‘Terd Jer’ and the terror, may her soul rest in peace, who made me wish I won’t be called to recite because I never really read Fili until periodical exams. I also got reminded of my Rizal Course professor who was very passionate about Rizal. Her eyes say it all. [Inside joke there, sorry.]  Of course, I have better memories of my teachers than these, but I am more fond of the funny ones. I’m pretty sure you can relate. 


Going back to Elias, the restaurant’s design— from the chandeliers, to the huge tables, wooden chairs, and paintings— was something tangible of how I imagined colonial houses during their glory days. I have been to several of its kind but I find them in a lifeless state. Elias was full of life and I felt like being in a party during the colonial period. We noticed that the plywood they used for the walls and chairs did not have a finishing of either paint or varnish. But it did not make it less than decent. It was not too glitzy to be intimidating, but not lacking in elegance to be trashy.


After we made ourselves comfortable in a table for two, we gave the waiter our order. It took a while for the food to arrive but they served a small bowl of cornicks for us to munch on while we wait. We agreed that the cornicks were good. We even fought for the last pieces. [hahaha] Maybe it tasted ordinary but we were either too hungry to be deceived that it was more than the usual cornicks or we considered everything that day special.

Tiago's Triumph, P325
First to arrive on the table was Tiago’s Triumph (P325), which was described in the menu as oysters with spinach and bacon. That was an erratic description. There was neither spinach nor bacon on the oysters. Just cheese. Albeit the absence of the spinach and bacon, it was okay. Saved by the cheese, I must say.

It was actually my first time to eat oysters because if you happen to pass by Talaba in Cavite, you wouldn’t want to eat this. [HAHA]  But I take the blame for ordering oysters because I thought it tasted like baked scallops. Oysters were too squishy and smelled fishy. We managed to finish this, though, but I wouldn’t recommend this unless you are an oyster lover.

Calamares ni Tales, P225
Next served was Calamares ni Tales (P225). We had to order something we knew we would like come what may. We have tasted a lot of calamares from different restos that we can no longer pin point which was better. Tyrone describes it as fresh, crispy but tender. I agree. There was also something special about its bread crumbs. I later on read on the menu that the squid rings were coated in desiccated coconut, which I think made it taste different. It came with a garlic mayo though the dish was good enough without it. We used the dip with the oysters, instead. 

Salome's Secret, P295
By the time the binusog na pusit dish called Salome’s Secret (P295) arrived, I thought we were headed for another disappointment because the squid was a little bit tough and chewy. But who would have thought that its sweet sauce would make Salome’s Secret our favorite? Remember when I said here that I don’t like sweet viands? I take it back. 

Adobo Rice, P250
Last served was the Adobo Rice (P250), which was a bowl of rice goodness! It was topped with adobo flakes and salted egg. It was actually a few weeks after we dined there that I realized it was salted egg. I was about to compliment here that the tofu was good and did not feel like I bited into a sponge. [haha] Good thing I checked the price online and was able to read that it was salted egg and not tofu. 

When we finished everything, dessert was served. I chose to have Iday (P180), suman with chocolate fondue, because I am fondly called such. It was good but I would rather have “latik fondue” instead of chocolate. Tyrone ordered Halo-halo ni Elias (P95) in lieu of a drink. He secretly sipped from my bottomless iced tea (P95).

Iday with Chocolate Fondue, P180
Halo Halo n i Elias, P95
I wanted to try the Sorbetero sa San Diego. The sorbetes cart was a bit out of place if you ask me, but it made the restaurant more charming. Unfortunately we were already too full for this. Talking about charm, we placed our payment inside the rooster (picture below). And just when we thought the charm ended when we paid the bill, I went to the C.R. and found more things I thought were nice.



Our bill reached a little over P1,400 but we paid only half the price. ;)

Elias was a good choice to celebrate our fifth anniversary. We had a great time catching up and doing what we do best together— talking, laughing, and eating. I plan to go back some other time because I want to try most of their food, especially the weird pizzas like Laing Pizza. Perhaps when there is a family occasion and someone’s willing to pick up the tab or if I’m with my friends. It’s pricey but the experience is worth it.


***


I would like to thank you for those five wonderful years. We withstood the complications of being in a long distance relationship, add to that the immaturity that came with our age. [haha] But still I thank you because we are growing in age together (quite literally) to become better people. And thank you for being my special best friend, who tirelessly hears me rant and dream over and over again. The special best friend whom I’d never hesitate to cry to over my failures, disappointments and frustrations. You would probably think it’s already late when you get to read this but I’m telling you, this message is timeless. Thank you, clown, and good luck! :*









ELIAS
North East Superblock, Upper Ground Level
Bonifacio High Street Central
30th Avenue corner 7th Avenue
Fort Bonifacio Global City
Open daily from 11 AM to 11 PM 
(02) 546 7977
Check out their menu here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you! (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...